Friday, May 6, 2016

Dreams and Making Them Come True

Y'all. Let's talk about dreams.

I knew from the moment this house popped up on the MLS listings that it was too small. I wanted something 3+ bedrooms and it only had 2. But the square footage wasn't the biggest concern; I've always wanted a smaller house where my family could occupy the same space and everyone could feel included in everything. The lot was level, had trees, and was large at 2 acres. Most importantly, it was in our price range.

At the time, we were living with my mom in Austin for two years. I had been at my job for a comfortable amount of time and Jeff was working out of San Marcos. The location was convenient for both of us. It was just the two of us so the smallness of the house wasn't too much of a concern. So, we decided to drive out and take a look at the house. Jeff walked the property, came back next to me on the side porch and said, "I'm so relaxed here. This is exactly what I want." Or something to that affect. He was able to convince me that this house was our future home.

And he wasn't wrong (which is my way of saying he was right without actually saying the words...wait...).

Even today, all these years and two kids later, I still love that we are always around each other. Sure, I could stand to have one more bedroom so I could move CP into is own room, or when the occasional guest does come to visit that WJ could still sleep in his own room. And sometimes the constant 3 year old chatter becomes unbearable and I must flee to the great outdoors. But this house is our home.

Jeff and I brought two lives into this world living in this house. WJ had his first steps here and CP is quickly following in his footsteps. Time you need to slow down slightly! We've changed jobs, lost beloved pets, and through it all, these walls have contained and sheltered us. I love this house.

But y'all. This house has it's share of problems and I've been dreaming about solving all of them for 5+ years.

Like these bathroom vanity countertops in both bathrooms. Be sure to notice the hand-painted vanity hardware!


Like the white carpet that discloses all the secret coffee spills, spit-ups, sippy cups failings, and yes, puppy pee. I promise this is a coffee stain. No amount of Resolve or Magic Carpet rentals have been able to successfully remove any stain from this carpet. It's magically terrible.


Like these <begin sarcasm> super classy <end sarcasm> pink 6x6 ceramic tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms. PINK!


But, y'all, I had vision. I knew that with a little elbow grease and investment we could turn this house into a gem. I pinned on Pinterest. I ripped pages out of Magazines. I strolled through the aisles at Home Depot and Lowes looking at faucets, vanities, vessel sinks, paint samples, stainless steel appliances and flooring. I lived in a beautiful home filled with beautiful finishes in my mind.

This weekend we are beginning the implementation of the majority of those dreams. We're ripping out the carpet and super cool tile to replace with different tile and wood(ish) floors. We'll be throwing out the 1" baseboards and the formica counters in the kitchen and bathrooms. We'll remove the weird amalgamation of 1994 "country" decor and bring it into a style that suits today.

No longer will I see seashells in the morning but glorious white farmhouse sinks and upgraded traditional faucets.

We've ordered parts (and more parts), materials, and a dumpster.

Y'all my dreams are starting to become a reality and I can't wait to share them with you. I'll invite you over now, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment