Thursday, July 5, 2012

Would You Call that a Twin or a Full?

We finally did it!  We made vegetable beds. 


Two weekends ago, Jeff and I went to Home Depot and bought more lumber.  Yes...more lumber.  We did get to break in the new truck to haul it all home, but more lumber.

We planned the beds out that morning and decided on 2 - 4'x8' beds spaced 4' apart (for carts to get through).  The lumber is treated so they *should* last a few years without having to rebuild.  There is one bed that is 10" tall and the other is 20" to contain vine-like plants from spilling into the yard.

<Insert Jeff's pat on the back here>

The neighbor gave us a topsy-turvy which we hung on a shepherd's hook, however, when he left in the middle of the night without saying anything moved out, he left a topsy-turvy (strawberry variety) planted with pepper plants I gave him and another tomato one so I went over and adopted them.  They are so heavy the broken the shepherd's hooks we bought so we replace the cut 4x4 of the big bed with a 5 - 6' piece and hung them on it.  Much sturdier and we're already seeing plant growth!

I've also been busy starting summer seeds (cucumber, squash, watermelon, Lima beans, pumpkins).  The Lima beans grew so fast that they pushed the lid off of the seed starting "greenhouse" in 3 days!  I moved them so they're sitting outside in the shade growing happily.  Unfortunately, the only other thing that grew with it was the cucumbers.  I'll have to restart the squash and watermelon.  I think I'm giving up on the pumpkins.

Next step is to construct the trellis and plant!  I can't wait to see everything grow!  More pictures to come.

1 comment:

  1. Everything is growing great & looks awesome. My favorite, though, is the porch on the potting shed where Samuel "blew bubbles" for a LONG time. :)

    ReplyDelete